Usėnai was first mentioned in written sources in 1722. Usėnai is located south-east of Šilutė, near the Klaipėda-Pagėgiai railway. The Veižas, the right tributary of the Nemunas, flows through the village. In 1874, the railway line Pagėgiai-Šilutė was built through Usėnai and a railway station was built. In 1905, the village had 71 inhabitants: 65 Germans, 6 Lithuanians. Usėnai was called Mädewald. After the restoration of Lithuania in 1918, Usėnai was home to the Pienocentras dairy, several shops and an agricultural machinery repair company.
A memorial stone to the soldiers who died in 1941-1945 was erected in Usėnai, as well as an ensemble of folk sculptures created by folk artists of the Žemaitija zone during a workshop in 1976. The ensemble consists of 12 oak sculptures based on the motifs of the ancient tombstones of the Pomeranian region – baptisms ؘ- and priests.
In 2005, a roof pillar was erected to commemorate the 220th anniversary of the settlement of Usėnai.