Švėkšna Traditional Crafts Centre was established in 2014.
It was established in 2014 as a branch of Šilutė Tourism Information Centre.
Within the framework of the Lithuanian Rural Development 2007 – 2013.
Rural Renewal and Development” measure of the Rural Development Programme 2007-2013.
The specific objective of the activity is to foster the intangible cultural heritage by developing the activities of the Traditional Crafts Centre as a tourist attraction in Western Lithuania, to foster and promote the technologies of traditional crafts, to create conditions for traditional craftspeople to present and market products of national heritage.
THE MAIN ACTIVITY OF THE TRADITIONAL CRAFT CENTER:
- Organises and conducts one-off and itinerant educational events;
- Holds regular ceramics classes for children and adult groups;
- Provides education for schoolchildren within the framework of cultural education;
- It organises workshops, education and other activities by visiting professional and amateur craftspeople.
- Participates in and organises exhibitions, fairs, craft festivals, creative competitions and camps for children;
- Produces ceramics and other souvenirs to individual orders;
- It sells a variety of handmade products: ceramics, handmade candles, soaps, weathervanes, straw gardens, and other souvenirs with the symbolism of the region;
- Organises and leads the “Let’s Feel the History of Paprūsė” educational event;
- Provides advice on the certification of national heritage products and traditional craftsmen;
- Provides tourism information about tourism resources and services in the Šilutė district;
- It rents rooms for conferences, events and other gatherings;
- Developing and implementing projects.
EDUCATION WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF CULTURAL EDUCATION:
- Ceramics studio “Clay Mysteries”
- “Strawberry Stitching”
- “Paper Journey”
- “The Story of the Little Mosaic”
- “From wool to felt”
- Candle-making education “What does wax mean”
- “Making scented soap”
- “Kraiti’s Box”
- “I’m making myself a weathervane magnet”
EDUCATION FOR CALENDAR FESTIVALS:
- “Making Halloween masks”
- “Traditional Samogitian Verba”
- “Printing eggs”
- “Midsummer wreath weaving”
- “Weaving an Advent wreath”
- “Making traditional Christmas toys”
- “Paper cuttings”
- “Straw Garden Stitching”