Švėkšna Traditional Crafts Centre was established in 2014 as a branch of Šilutė Tourism Information Centre within the framework of the project “Establishment and Development of Traditional Crafts” under the measure “Rural Renovation and Development” of the Lithuanian Rural Development 2007-2013 Programme.
The main objective of the activity is to foster the intangible cultural heritage by developing the activities of the Traditional Crafts Center as a tourist attraction in Western Lithuania, to foster and promote the technologies of traditional crafts, to create conditions for traditional craftsmen to present and sell the products of national heritage.
THE MAIN ACTIVITY OF THE TRADITIONAL CRAFTS CENTER:
- Organizes and conduct one-time and outgoing education programs;
- Holds regular ceramics classes for children and adult groups;
- Provides education for schoolchildren according to the cultural education system;
- Organises workshops, education and other activities by invited professional and amateur craftsmen;
- Participates in and organises exhibitions, fairs, craft festivals, creative competitions and camps for children;
- Produces ceramic artifacts and other souvenir products according to individual orders.
- Sells a variety of handmade products: ceramic crafts, handmade candles, soaps, weathervanes, straw gardens, and various other souvenirs with the symbolism of the region;
- Organises and hosts the entertainment education “Let’s feel the history of Paprūsė”;
- Provides advice on the certification of national heritage products and traditional craftsmen;
- Provides tourism information on tourism resources and tourism services in Šilutė District Municipality;
- Rents rooms for conferences, events and other gatherings;
- Prepares and implements projects.
EDUCATION PROGRAMMES CONDUCTED ACCORDING TO THE CULTURAL EDUCATION SYSTEM:
- Ceramics studio “Secrets of Clay”,
- “Straw weaving”,
- “Journey of Paper”,
- “The history of the Little Mosaic”,
- “From wool to felt”,
- Candle-making education “What wax remembers”,
- “Making scented soap”,
- “Dowry Chest”,
- “I’m making a weathervane magnet for myself”.
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS FOR CALENDAR CELEBRATIONS:
- “Making Shrovetide masks”,
- “Traditional Samogitian Easter palm”,
- “Egg painting”,
- “”St. John’s Day wreath weaving”,
- “Weaving an Advent wreath”,
- “Making traditional Christmas toys”,
- “Paper cuttings”,
- “Straw Garden Weaving”.