Sorry, this entry is only available in Lietuvių.Read more
There are 322 cultural heritage objects in the territory of the Municipality; the heritahe of architecture, archeology, technique, and maritime heritage have survived the best.
The Municipality is located in the Western part of the Republic of Lithuania, near the Curonian Bay of the Baltic Sea. A greater part of its territory is occupied by the Nemunas delta.
Villa „Genovaitė“ Is a villa of an exceptional beauty, built in the Empire style in 1880. The villa remained until the present day. Švėkšna Manor Villa was built by Adam Pliateris and named in honor of his wife - "Genovaitė“. The Villa is surrounded by the Manor Park, now in 9.5 ha area, and one of the most beautiful parks in Lithuania. The park was founded in the XIX-th century. In the large park area you will not only see a well-ordered landscape but also important cultural objects - sundial, Diana sculpture and others.
Švėkšna St. Apostle Jacob's Church and viaduct In 1905, by Swedish architect Carlo Eduardo Strandman‘s project, there was a Neo-Gothic church built, one of the main architectural monuments of the town. The interior of the church is decorated with 8 altars. The main altar is almost 16 meters high, along with the pulpit made in the Austrian Tyrol. Under the great altar there is a crypt. A viaduct, built over the street bridge, connecting the park with the nearby churchyard gives uniqueness to Švėkšna Church and, possibly, to the whole town. The viaduct was built about 1885, together with the churchyard, its decorative details are of Gothic style, as is the churchyard wall.
Vilkėnas Manor Is a manor ensemble built in 1880 -1897. Vilkėnas Manor house is a simple two-story neo-renaissance, symmetrical plan building with a tower. The main facade has a four brick columns portico, the rear facade has a balcony. In 2007, Vilkėnas Manor house exterior was restored. The Manor is surrounded by 13 hectares of park.
Švėkšna Evangelical Lutheran Church Was the first Lutheran Church, built in 1819, where St. Florian‘s monument currently stands, but in 1856 it was devastated by fire. The current church was built in 1867, the tower in 1930.
Šilutė Evangelical Lutheran Church Šilutė church was considered one of the most beautiful East Prussian Evangelical Lutheran Church. Built in 1926 by architect K. Gutknecht Project. In the outside dominates 50 m high tower, which has three bells and town clock. The impressive altar – painter’s, former Koenigsberg Art Academy professor Richard Pfeifer’s, merit. On 80m² altar wall he painted the fresco with 120 original size figures. 80 of them have played an important role in the church's history. At the top, above the altar in front of the Lamb of God kneeling Adam and Eve, and to the left and to the right portrayed people from church history. Other church walls are also decorated with biblical scenes. The church is surrounded by a beautiful grove, next to the church was built stylish parsonage.
Šilutė Hugo Scheu Manor In 1721 was established state Manor in Šilutė. After reorganization of the Prussian state government system 1808 - 1818 m. Radke family acquired the Manor. Manor revival and prosperity began in 1889, when it acquired the landlord Hugo Scheu. Landlord transformed the manor farm, he rent and gave to the town part of the lands. In restored manor was established the first museum of Klaipėda region, where was gathered unique collections. In 1944 October in the Manor stayed the Red Army and a large part of museum values has been destroyed. During the Soviet period there were supporting the Executive Committee for Agriculture. School of Agriculture and the Agricultural Technical School. After Lithuania regained its independence, was started design and restoration work of the Manor complex. Manor doors was opened for the town and its guests in 2015. Currently here is scientific archive of the museum – library, restoration center, carried out educational activities, is held virtual and tiltable exhibitions. Near the manor was founded English-style Park with three ponds and walking paths. At the park, which stretches along the Šyša River to the old railway bridge, were about 150 species of vegetation. Now there are 40 species of trees and shrubs.
The yellow metal bridge over the River Šyša The bridge was built in 1914, connecting the highway from Rusnė Island to Šilutė. It‘s an urban monument of Šilokarčema Old Town.
Former People's School (Lietuvininkų St. 38) The school was built at the end of the XIX century. IV decade of the XX-th century the school was restored, the southern block was built in. Only a small fragment of the northern facade remained of the old building, with tiled roof completed in avant-corps and secessic clock.
Sorry, this entry is only available in Lietuvių.
Sorry, this entry is only available in Deutsch and Lietuvių.
Katyčiai Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1734. In 1894, the church was redesigned, repaired. During the Soviet times the church tower was demolished, the bells taken away and the church itself turned into a film theater. After 1994, it was again restored, the belfry was rebuilt, the bell uploaded.
Sorry, this entry is only available in Lietuvių.
Sorry, this entry is only available in Lietuvių.
St. Michael the Archangel Church Is a folk architecture and a wooden church with neo-gothic features, cross plan, with a small turret roof, built in 1782. The church stands on the Mound Vanagiai, also known as the Green Hill, entered in the register of archaeological value.
St. Vincent Ferero‘s Church Degučiai St. Vincentas Fereras’s Church is the only remaining triangular wooden church in Europe. A triangular building plan of the church is very unusual and is associated with a symbol of the Holy Trinity. A baroque Degučiai Church was built in 1760. It was built by Vainutas Elder Tadas Bilevičius. It is believed that the construction of the church may have been induced by “a dark spot of the family”: from the historical sources it is known that a tragedy struck the Bilevičiai family when Aleksandras Bilevičius attacked his brother Vainutas Elder Jonas’s estate and Jonas’s wife Joana was killed during the attack. Thus Aleksandras Bilevičius may have started and his son Tadas Bilevičius completed the construction and equipped the church. The church has little changed over two hundred and fifty years, although it was renovated four times: 1840, at the end of the XIX century, 1923-1938 and 2011. The internal space of the church is covered by smooth ceiling based on two parallel beams holding the poles. There is a presbytery in the corner in front of the main entrance. Three ornate carved baroque altars are incorporated there, that make a whole art ensemble. The great altar is the most complex and expressive. There are three still remaining pictures of the upper altar of St. Anthony of Padua, St. Jude Thaddeus and St. Jozeph, painted around 1760-1763, equal baroque ornamental forms of the same size, current titular image of St. Vincent. The latter painting was already considered gracious in the XVIII century. The inventory of 1814 mentions witness of aid to people: one hand and two foot shaped votive offerings. In 2011, several exterior renovation works of St. Vincentas Fereras’s Church funded by resources of Norwegian financial mechanism were accomplished: the roof changed, the old church repainted, the wooden fence and belfry fixed. While renovating the interior of the church even four layers of paint were uncovered as well as the fragments of the old polychrome decoration of the church. During restoration extremely valuable historical finds were detected: gold thread embroidered church vestments were found between the walls of the building, a consecration cross was found in one of the walls during polychrome research and a rolled up fragment of the XVIII century painting was found in the attic of the church. Even a stone for holy water of this church has a special history that reminds of prehistory of the region. St. Vincentas Fereras’s Church with sacred art heritage in it is an object of state-protected cultural heritage. The church was declared a cultural treasure in 1963. Šilutė district municipality Culture department
Evangelical Lutheran Church Is a brick, plastered rectangular building of harmonious proportions built in 1842, in the town center. In the front there is the brightest and the most original architectural element of this church - a portico. It is a pleasure to look at this house of worship, as surrounded by old trees, by its bright silhouette it is reminiscent of an ancient Greek temple.
Monument for „The dead for Lithuanian freedom" Was built in 1928, located in the town center. It is an obelisk with Gediminas Tower-shaped tip. In 1951, the monument was demolished and buried. In 1988, it was excavated and restored by local craftsmen.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Was built in 1869 and equipped with Neo-Baroque style. The church is of rectangular plan, two-tower, with the apse. There are 3 altars with a churchyard stone fence.
St. Rokas Catholic Church The church was built in 1932, in a beautiful place on a hill, of a rectangular plan, one tower, with the apse. The churchyard fence is made of brick. In 2002, in the church tower face side there was a clock built-in. His face lights up at night.
Gardamas Lourdes and the miraculous healing source Wass installed on the hillside, at the side of St. Rokas Church in the beginning of the XX-th century. The niche is made of stone and is about 1.8 meters tall.
Monument to Martynas Mažvydas Is a monument to the author of the first Lithuanian book „Katekizmas“ (Catechism) - Martynas Mažvydas was supposedly born in Laukstėnai village.
St. Casimir's Church The church was founded in 1947, in the churchyard‘s chapel of Evangelical Lutheran Church. The church is low, rectangular, equipped with 3 altars.
Saugos Evangelical Lutheran Church Is a rectangular, red brick building with a small turret - high and massive. One nave is with an apse, decorated by an artist. This house of worship had a connected the altar - pulpit. It was started to build in 1845, and the consecration ceremony took place only in 1857.
Saugos Sawmill Is a to this day remaining red-brick water mill, built in 1908, which has been grinding grains, processing wood. The old mechanisms survived, and a sawmill now operates there.
The Great Kintai Church The church is a typical building of the beginning of the VXII-th eastern-Prussian architecture, maintaining the plan of German Order‘s Gothic buildings, with a historic church tower. In 1987, the church was restored, making it into Kintai Exhibition and Concerts Hall. Although this is the Evangelical Lutheran Church, since the restoration of the Independence Catholics are praying there. Recently, the Great Kintai Church is becoming a cultural center: Kintai Summer Festival concerts were started to be held here.
Kintai Vydūnas Cultural Center Is the cultural centre and memorial museum of the famous writer and philosopher Vydūnas, opened in the former Kintai School. In 1998, Kintai Vydūnas Cultural Center was founded.
Ventė Cape It is the most distant Western Šilutė district point. The peninsula length is 5.5 km, the maximum width is 2.2 km. At its tip there is a lighthouse for the ships and rafts as this place was very dangerous. The great bird migration route stretches through it. Ventė Cape Lighthouse Was built in 1852, and it is a technical monument overlooking the lagoon, the Curonian Spit, Rusnė Island. The height of the current stone lighthouse is 11 m. Ventė Cape Ornithological Station Was founded in 1929 by prof. T. Ivanauskas's initiative. The great bird migration route stretches through Ventė Cape. During 1929-2015, Ventė Cape Ornithological Station staff ringed nearly 2.5 million birds. In 2015, the station was resurrected to new life.
"The Great Thuja" Was declared a natural monument and Lithuania's largest thuja with the height of about 18 meters. In Europea, a bigger thuja is only known in Switzerland.
Rusnė Evangelical Lutheran Church Is one of the oldest churches in Lithuania, built 1809. In 1827, on the west side, a massive tower with a pyramid-shaped tapering roof and a massive cross was built. The church has an elongated rectangular shape.
Ethnographic fisherman's homestead-museum Was founded in 1997 as a typical fisherman‘s homestead. The homestead is restored, its original appearance remains unchanged, all the three buildings are still standing: a dwelling house, a woodshed and a barn. The homestead is about 200 years old.
Rusnė Post building and the Old Peters Bridge place Rusnė old post was established by the Peters Bridge. Now through the windows of the former post Atmata River can be seen, as well as the remains of the famous Peters Bridge and its lantern. A gorgeous former postal building, having stood before the entrance to the bridge – is a nice German national style building. Now, a hotel - restaurant „Prie Peterso tilto“ is situated there.
Bridge over the Atmata It was the first bridge to the island, built in 1914. It was a 2-arch Peters Bridge, blown up in 1944, the remaining preserved until now. After 60 years a reinforced concrete bridge - 333 meters long was built.