Švėkšna St. Apostle Jacob’s Church and viaduct


Švėkšnos Šv.  Apaštalo Jokūbo bažnyčia_780x240

Švėkšna St. Apostle Jacob’s Church and viaduct

In 1905, by Swedish architect Carlo Eduardo Strandman‘s project, there was a Neo-Gothic church built, one of the main architectural monuments of the town. The interior of the church is decorated with 8 altars. The main altar is almost 16 meters high, along with the pulpit made in the Austrian Tyrol. Under the great altar there is a crypt. A viaduct, built over the street bridge, connecting the park with the nearby churchyard gives uniqueness to Švėkšna Church and, possibly, to the whole town.
The viaduct was built about 1885, together with the churchyard, its decorative details are of Gothic style, as is the churchyard wall.


Show Buttons
Hide Buttons